Thursday, May 1, 2014

My Thoughts: Monday Monday - Elizabeth Crook



Monday Monday.  What a great title for this book.  It parlays the whole essence of the book.  Mondays are a dreaded day for most people.  They invoke mixed feelings.  The story within this book did the same thing. 

The Gist:  In 1966, the first mass shooting of civilians on a college campus in America occurs.  "Monday, Monday follows three students caught up in the massacre: Shelly, who leaves her math class and walks directly into the path of the bullets; and two cousins, Wyatt and Jack, who heroically rush from their classrooms to help the victims.  On this searing day, a relationship begins that will eventually entangle these three young people in a forbidden love affair, an illicit pregnancy, and a vow of secrecy that will span forty years.  Reunited decades after the tragedy, they will be forced to confront the event that changed their lives and that has silently and persistently ruled the lives of their children."

My thoughts: I read this book in 2 days.  Granted I wasn't working but I still would have devoured this book.  It's good.  Crook tells a story that is gripping.  I did not want to put it down.  Although the story was excellent, I got frustrated with it.  Frustrated in a good story telling way.  I wanted to jump into the story and tell the characters what to do.  Shelly, no don't do that.  Wyatt, why are you such an idiot?  Jack, oh Jack.  I want more books from Crook.

I received this review book from Leyane Jerejian at FSB Associates.  She's amazing at picking books that fit me.  It's like having my own personal book shopper.  I love it.  She has exposed me to so many thought provoking books.  I can't thank her enough.  Many of these books I wouldn't have picked up without her offering them.  Thank you.

Recommendation: A definite Yes.  Read it.

2 comments:

Vasilly said...

This sounds really good.

breethethingsweread said...

It is. If I still have the proof at home, I'll mail it to you. Email me your address.