Four recipes worked their way through my kitchen this week. 3 keepers and 1 try-again-differently.
Sweet Cornmeal Muffins
We love cornbread in this household hence the previous cornmeal pancakes (yummy) and now muffins. These are delicious. The recipe only makes a very small amount so I would double or triple for a more regular batch.
2 tablespoons sugar
4 teaspoons oil
1 egg, beaten
2 tablespoons milk
1/4 cup cornmeal
1/4 cup flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
pinch salt (just realized I forgot to add the salt)
Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Line muffin pan with papers or spray a nonstick pan.
In a bowl, combine sugar, oil, egg and milk. Mix well. In another bowl, combine dry ingredients; stir in sugar mixture just until moistened. Pour into 4 muffin cups.
Bake for 15-18 minutes or until lightly browned. (I used a mini muffin pan since the recipe makes such a little amount and baked for only 10 minutes. Yum Yum)
(From: haven't the slightly idea)
No-Bake Cookies
Finally, I have found a no-bake cookie recipe that I like. I gave up trying these recipes a long time ago cause I just didn't care for them. This one has perfect texture and taste.)
1 stick butter (I used real butter, not margerine)
1/2 cup cocoa
2 cups sugar
1/2 cup milk
3 cups quick oatmeal
1/2 cup peanut butter
1 teaspoon vanilla
Put butter, cocoa, sugar and milk in pan and cook just until it bubbles a little bit around the sides. Then take off heat and dump in oatmeal, peanut butter and vanilla. Stir. Put globs of it on waxed paper (or foil) and let it cool.
(From: The Sweet Potato Queens' Big-Ass Cookbook)
Waffles
Found this recipe at Finding Joy in My Kitchen. Click on link for recipe. One of the better waffle recipes that I've tried.
Buttermilk Biscuits
Made per daughter's request. We both thought very floury tasting and dry. Will try again with less flour. Need more flavor. Suggestions?
2 cups flour
1 tablespoon baking powder
3/4 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
5 tablespoon chilled shortening
1 cup buttermilk
Preheat oven to 425.
In a large bowl, sift (yeah right!) together dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender or 2 knives, cut the shortening into the flour mixture until coarse crumbs form.
Add the buttermilk, tossing with a fork until a dough forms.
Turn dough out onto a lightly floured surface. Gather into a disk. Knead lightly a few times just until smooth. (the dough can be made up to 2 hours ahead, wrapped in plastic wrap and refrigerated until ready to use.)
Pat dough to 3/4 inch thick. Using a biscuit cutter or a glass dipped in flour, cut out biscuits. (I used heart shaped cutters in honor of Valentine's Day) Place the biscuits, 2 inches apart, on an ungreased baking sheet. Repeat until all dough is used.
Bake the biscuits until golden, 12-15 minutes. Serve hot.
(from: Great American Home Baking Card 4)




What a fun project! I will have to try that recipe for no bake cookies - they are delicious but I can never get them to turn out right.
ReplyDeleteHallelujah! Hallelujah! I've been meaning to cook some chocolate cookies lately, but yesterday's kitchen fiasko made me lazier thatn ever. And then you! Show up! With no bake coco cookies! Savior!) am running to the kitchen now))))
ReplyDelete