Today is the last day of the Slice of Life Challenge. I am very proud of myself for completing 29 days out of the 31 days of March. Yippee. This is my best finish.
Today is also the last day of my 3 day girls getaway. Sad but the trip was relaxing (somewhat) and memorable (very).
Yesterday after a delightfully relaxing morning and afternoon, my friend and I decided to visit some wineries. We had so much fun trying wine samplers and snacks. We gave names to several of the wine which we didn't care for such as Men's Cologne, Dirt, Grass, Syrup, Kool Aid, etc. We laughed and laughed. Then we launched out for some real food.
However, the weather had a different plan for us. After sliding around a corner because it was snowing like the dickens, my car decided it could not make it up the next hill. I stopped and backed up into someone's driveway. In the process of going forward to resume our travel, the front end of the car slide sideways. I stopped and said, "I can't go any farther." My friend says, "just get out of the car." I screamed at her "I can't. There is no ground under my door!"
She looked at me like I was crazy until she got out of the car and looked. The car was now tilted a little sideways and it was straddling a deep ditch. It looked like at any moment it would tip and roll down the hill. I was freaking out. A full blown panic attack ensued as I am deadly afraid of driving off sides of clifts, mountains, hills, ditches etc. after having almost done so twice in my life.
The people who's driveway we were in came out and were so helpful. They contemplated pulling the car out but there was no way without one tire or another falling into the ditch. They found us a tow truck man and he easily got car out. Then he followed us back up hill to make sure we made it safely. Thank You!
Not the experience I was looking for on a relaxing trip but it makes for a great story.

Now THAT is a heck of a slice!
ReplyDeleteI'm glad you didn't roll over or get permanently stuck in a ditch. I can't believe also that you are stuck in snow while I'm hiding inside because it is 88 hot degrees outside. We need to get together.
Congratulations on your terrific month of writing--see you next year!
Elizabeth E.
http://peninkpaper.blogspot.com/
Wow, I was holding my breath as I read this! Great job describing this adventure!
ReplyDeleteHappy Writing!
What a story to end the slices! I'm so glad you & your friends are okay. It's always an adventure in the weather, isn't it? (I'm glad you put in all the exciting parts!)
ReplyDeleteHoly cow--talk about life providing a riveting slice! Yikes!
ReplyDeleteAnd congrats on your best ever finish in the challenge. This was my first time participating, and I loved it!
Elizabeth - Thanks. I've already been to California. You will need to come here. :)
ReplyDeleteDeb - Thanks. Breathe. I was hiberventilating during the event. I'm sure it wasn't as bad as my wacked-out mind made it seem.
TeacherDance - Thanks
Ruth - Thanks. Hope you join us next year.