Friday, March 11, 2011

Reading Since Mid-February -

I am new to the Janet Evanovich craze and I can't believe I've waited this long to try one of her novels.  In a few days I devoured both of these novels via audio books.  I couldn't get enough.  After cleaning up the kitchen one night, I couldn't find anything else to do in there in order to justify listening to the audio so I moved a stool in with a stack of paperwork that needed to be sorted and filed.  She is freaking hilarious with her characters.  The audio voice is equally as amazing so I'm really hoping when I go to the library to get more of the Stephanie Plum series that the same person is reading them.
Both from the library.
Sarah Palin. What can I say? A lot.  Actually I have spouted off to most of my friends about her autobiography.  I never paid much attention to the presidential race other than the fact that there were 2 women and 1 African American running for the offices. Now I wish I would have paid more attention.  In reading her book, it's horrible how the media can twist and turn an event or fraction of a conversation into something completely different.  I am in awe of Palin.  She is a down-home gutsy workaholic mother wrapped in a Barbie package.  I really like her "for the people, small town" campaign and government style.  Now I want to read her other books.  I wonder how our country would fair if she was President.  From the library for the Non-Fiction Challenge.
 Not on Our Watch is an accounting of Don Cheadle's and John Prendergast's activities involving the genocide in Darfur.  I feel horrible saying this but the book was a little slow.  I did skim quite a bit.  The issue is so horrific.  I can't imagine living through the terror and fear of genocide.  There are some very profound thoughts coming through this book.  I've previously read What is the What, another informative accounting of genocide in the Sudan.  Read it.    (won this book several years ago, read as part of Non-Fiction Challenge)
I've yet to read a bad or boring Emily Giffin book.  Heart of the Matter involves an unfortunate accident and family tragedy. The marriage becomes something neither party anticipated.  Then along comes a little boy suffering from a terrible burn which the husband/doctor can fix unlike the dismise of his marriage.  Long story short - he went the opposite way than I thought he would.   (from the library - audio book)

2 comments:

  1. I'm pretty sure I've only read One for the Money by Evanovich. That was years ago. Maybe I'll get back to her one day. That's the great thing about an author with a long backlist, isn't it? All those books waiting for you to read one day.

    Do you listen to the audio books on CD or are they downloadable MP3 files from the library? My Kindle has a speech feature for some of the titles but I haven't tried it.

    Haven't read Palin's book either or the ones about the Sudan. Right now I need something fluffy. I just did a blog post this morning about abandoning books.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love long backlists. No waiting for a new release. Just oodles of books to read. hehehe

    I listen to books on CD. I don't have an MP3 player or an ereader. I don't really prefer to read books via computer.

    Fluffy books are good. Sometimes they just get you into the mood to read more and isn't that a good thing?!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...