Saturday, November 26, 2011

My Thoughts - Fabulous Finds - J. Lee Drexler & James R. Cohen


This fall I was offered Fabulous Finds for review by Rachel Hundert at Meryl Zegarek Public Relations.  I was a little apprehensive about accepting, actually reading and enjoying this book.  I enjoy art, not enthusiastically, but I appreciate it and marvel at artists' abilities to create such works.  However, I've only read about art in an art history class in college and hated it.

I picked this book up yesterday and am finished with it already.  Love it.  The stories and tidbits that Drexler and her husband James Cohen share are fascinating.  I love the historical aspect and the knowledge imparted by the duo.  Drexler is an art/furniture/antiques/jewelry appraiser with 35 years experience and has appraised items for many rich and famous clients.  She knows her stuff and shares what to look for and avoid in your own potential purchases and fabulous finds.

I definitely recommend Drexler's book even if you only have the mildest interest in art.  It is going on my bookshelf as a keeper.

From the cover:

"Join an expert arts and antiques appraiser as she uncovers treasure and trash in the homes of the rich and famous!

If you think Antiques Roadshow is exciting, you haven't seen anything until you've read Fabulous Finds, a memoir of expert appraiser Lee Drexler's career in the high-stakes world of art, antiques precious jewelry, and fabulous collections and collectors.

What's the value of an expert's opinion? Drexler identified a lost treasure by a renowned artist-and a painting insured for $7,000 sold at auction for $690,000."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...