Monday, January 2, 2012

2012 Projects and Goals

For 2012, I decided to make a list of both projects and goals.  Why the distinction?  Because projects are something I WILL finish in 2012 and goals are something to push myself outside comfort zone that I will strive to improve or complete.

2012 Projects
  1. Complete the individualized cookbooks I started for my teenagers
  2. Join and finish the 2013 Sketchbook Project
  3. Delete my daughter's stuff on all my computers as she has her own now
  4. Reorganize photos in photo albums - in flipping through them this year, some have blank pages or random photos missing.  I want to put in chronological order, discard the bad/blurry photos that I used to keep (for what reason, I don't know) and condense albums
  5. Cooking My Way - I almost finished my cooking scrapbook. I will continue to cook my way through all the ripped out and saved recipes until they are gone along with the marked untried recipes in my cookbooks. I do hope to have this project completed by the end of 2012


Ongoing Projects
Last year, I started a couple projects that I didn't complete and decided to make them ongoing lifetime or blogtime projects.
  1. The Wine Club - I love wine and like to try new ones.  I will continue to add and update my list.
  2. 100 Things to Do - When I created this list, I knew it would be a lifetime project but in order to actually complete items, I need to consistently revisit the list.
2012 Goals

Financial:
  • Put aside $10 a week for Christmas
  • Put aside $2 a day for travel.  Not a huge amount, I know but you have to start somewhere
  • Pay off 1/2 of my debt - this is a HUGE goal
  • Get a decently paying regular office job - either here, Chicago, Seattle, or Alaska
  • Start freelance work and income - administrative or writing
Reading:
  • Read 2 books a week.  For the last several years, I put a yearly goal out there for reading.  I want to try a weekly goal this year.
  • Read 4 classics - One Hundred Years of Solitude, The Gambler, The Catcher in the Rye, Robinson Crusoe (this one is part of my 100 Things list so I'll count it as part of my personal goals)
  • Start an online book club or reading group through my blog or Twitter
  • Read all books on my bookshelves and only acquire 12 books for the year excluding review books(part of my minimalist lifestyle goals)
Personal:
  • See 1 movie a month at the theater - Rave Theaters in my area is reinstituting $5 Tuesdays.  I like the experience of seeing certain movies on the big screen so $5 Tuesdays are great.
  • Start/complete 5 items on my 100 Things list
  • Visit my daughter in Italy in the fall or at Christmas time
  • Do something or go somewhere new each week
12 for 2012.  What are your goals and projects?  Do you make a distinction?

9 comments:

  1. Doing the sketchbook project is something I want to do too. I'm really hoping to get through the next two semesters okay.

    ReplyDelete
  2. These are great goals! I can't wait to read about you achieving them. 

    ReplyDelete
  3. breethethingswereadJanuary 2, 2012 at 5:51 PM

    Fingers crossed for you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. breethethingswereadJanuary 2, 2012 at 5:52 PM

    I hope I achieve them. Nope, I mean - When I achieve them, Soon!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love the variety of your goals. And I love the idea of individualized cookbooks...if someone would make one for me. :) I'll have to talk to grandma...

    ReplyDelete
  6. breethethingswereadJanuary 2, 2012 at 9:06 PM

    I started the cookbooks when my kids were little. They were all typed out on Word with personalized notes. Then the file got corrupted and unrecoverable. :( I restarted the idea this year but I only made photocopies of certain recipes and I don't remember all the tidbits from when they were young. Oh well. At least they have the recipes.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great idea put aside 2 dollars a day for travel, I think I'll do it too!
    And great idea read "The Gambler": I read it, if you want you can read my review on it on my blog at this link http://www.peekabook.it/2011/12/eng-gambler-by-fedor-dostoevskij.html
    Nice to know that your daughter lives here in Italy! I'm from Bologna, where does she live?
    Congratulations for your blog! :)

    Valentina
    www.peekabook.it

    ReplyDelete
  8. breethethingswereadJanuary 4, 2012 at 1:04 PM

    She is going to Italy for a semester this fall. She will be in Florence. Any suggestions or helpful hints for her?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wonderful!
    Does she already speak italian?
    My hint for her is (since it's only one hour from Florence) to come sometimes here in Bologna, it's a beautiful city, even though it's less famous than Florence! :)
    Have a look at this link http://www.dailymail.co.uk/travel/article-2053363/Italy-city-breaks-A-saucy-weekend-brilliant-Bologna.html
    it explains better than me how wonderful is my city :)
    Hope to see your daughter (and you!) here! 

    Valentina
    www.peekabook.it

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...