Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Top Ten Tuesday


List Your Top Ten Bookish Peeves

1.  Agreeing with Jamie at The Broke and The Bookish, I hate stickers on books.  It always seems as if the stickers are covering up pertainent information such as the author's name or a description of the book or the price.  My local library is very guilty of covering up information with their stickers.

2.  Books that only have reviews or recommendations on the back cover.  This tells me nothing about the book.  I never read a book based on a newspaper, magazine or author recommendation only blogger recommendations.

3.  When cover art does not match the story - I prefer when the art actually depicts a character or setting.  Actually I wish all covers had a picture of the main character and setting as the author sees it.

4. I also agree with Ginger from GReads about too much detail.  I skim these parts.

5. Books that don't have a listing of all the books by the author or the list isn't in chronological or series order.  What if I want to read other books by this author?  What if I want to read the series?

6.  When books in a series are not clearly labeled - I hate it when I accidentially pick up book 3 because it is not clearly labeled or labeled at all that the book is part of a series.  Again, another reason for books to have a book list in the front or back in the proper order.  I may not rush to the computer to go to the author's website to look up the proper order.  I may just leave it on the shelf and say "Oh well."

7.  Books that have very little or no author information.  I get wanting privacy, I really do but give us readers something.  I really like how Debbie Macomber always has a letter to the reader in the front of every book explaining why she wrote the book and a tidbit about the book.  I also like when the book has a whole section in the back explaining information by the author along with some questions to think about and/or discuss.

8.  not sure

4 comments:

  1. Completely agree with 2 and 7! I like learning more about the authors and i love when there is a q&a section at the end.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completely agree with most of your picks except stickers don't bother me too much...we have a lot in common on our lists, plus you've got some that bother me but I forgot to put on my list.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I refuse to read any book that has only reviews and recommendations on the back cover. I think it is just rude.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yes, I wish that books would have the author's previous work list in chronological order. And if books are in a series to list those in order. It gets so confusing.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...