Thursday, January 23, 2014

Cooking My Way Restart

I have not worked on my Cooking My Way project in almost 2 years.  I stopped when I moved to Chicago because I had no one to cook for.  This year I've decided to start back up again although it does make me a little sad.  I miss my kids.  I miss cooking for them and talking with them about how yucky or yummy the recipe turned out.

Shake it off.

Ok, so for the recipes I tried this week...

Warm Country Gingerbread Waffles
(These were ok.  Edible and enjoyable but not my favorite)
2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon salt
1 cup molasses
1/2 cup butter
1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 cup buttermilk
1 egg
 
Combine flour, cinnamon, ginger and salt.  Heat molasses and butter until butter melts.  Remove from heat and stir in baking soda.  Add buttermilk and egg, then add flour mixture.  Cook in a preheated, oiled waffle iron until golden.  Makes 12 four-inch waffles.
 
 
Chocolate-Stout Brownies
(Yum.  Discovered I love the taste of stout in chocolate.  I put fresh raspberries on top. Perfection.  As a side note, my oven did a fail and didn't stay heated properly so mine did not turn out fully baked like brownies, more like fudge.  Will definitely be making again.)
 
1 cup stout (such as Guinness)
16 oz. semisweet or bittersweet chocolate, chopped, divided
1 cup plus 2 tablespoons (2 1/4 sticks) unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups sugar
3 large eggs
1 teaspoon vanilla
3/4 cup all-purpose flour
1 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt, divided
 
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.  Line a 9x9x2 metal baking pan with foil, leaving a 2 in. overhang.  Bring stout to a boil in a medium saucepan; cook until reduced to 1/2 cup, about 12 minutes.  let cool. Reserve 1/4 cup stout.
 
Stir 12 oz. chocolate and 1 cup butter in a medium metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth.
 
Whisk sugar, eggs, and vanilla in a large bowl to blend.  Gradually whisk in chocolate mixture, then 1/4 cup stout from pan.  Fold in flour and 1 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Pour batter into prepared pan.

Bake brownies until surface begins to crack and a tester inserted into center comes out with a few moist crumbs attached, 35-40 minutes.  Transfer pan to wire rack and let cool for a least 20 minutes.  Stir remaining 4 oz. chocolate  in a medium metal bowl set over a saucepan of simmering water until melted and smooth.  Add reserved 1/4 cup reduced stout, remaining 2 tablespoons butter and 1/4 teaspoon salt.  Whisk until well blended.
 
Pour warm glaze over brownies.  Let stand at room temperature until glaze is set, about 40 minutes.  Using foil overhang, lift brownie from pan; cut into squares.
(copied from: Bon Appetit, February 2012)
 
Swanson Ultra Creamy Mashed Potatoes
(yummy. Love the extra flavor added by cooking with chicken broth)
 
3 1/2 cups Swanson Chicken broth
5 large potatoes, cut into 1 inch pieces
1/2 cup light cream
2 tablespoons butter
Generous dash ground black pepper
 
Heat broth and potatoes in 3 qt. saucepan over medium-high heat to a boil.  Reduce heat to medium.  Cover and cook for 10 minutes or until potatoes are tender.  Drain, reserving broth.  Mash potatoes with 1/4 cup broth, cream, butter and pepper.  Add additional broth, if needed, until desired consistency.
 
For a twist:
Stir 1/2 cup sour cream, 3 slices bacon cooked and crumbled (reserve some for garnish), and 1/4 cup chopped fresh chives into hot mashed potatoes.  Sprinkle with remaining bacon.
 
 
Molasses Barbecue Sauce
(verdict is out on this recipe for now)
1/2 cup ketchup
1/3 cup dark brown sugar
1/4 cup unsulfured blackstrap molasses
1/4 cup apricot preserves
2 tablespoons yellow mustard
2 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
2 tablespoons vegetable oil
1 garlic clove, minced
1 1/2 teaspoons chili powder
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon hot sauce
pinch of ground cloves
pinch of ground allspice
salt
 
In a medium saucepan, combine all of the ingredients except the salt with 1/2 cup of water and bring to a boil, stirring well.  Let cool and season with salt.
 
The barbecue sauce can be refrigerated for up to 1 week.
(copied from: Food and Wine, June 2012)
 
 
Skirt Steak with Maple Syrup
(pictured with the mashed potatoes above.  The ingredients sound amazing but the sauce made me super sick to my stomach.  Only ate 3 bites of steak before throwing away.)
 
 
Bacon Ranch Cheddar Pullapart Bread
(found recipe on Bacon Today's Facebook page.  It's delicious. I forgot to grease pan so it stuck and I had to mangle it out of the pan)
 




1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...