Welcome to Day 25 of 31 Days of Baking as part of Write31Days October challenge.
Another savory recipe today to use up some ingredients that I have left. Only 7 more days till I leave this beautiful state.
Baked Cheddar Toast
1 cup heavy or whipping cream
1 cup cheddar cheese, shredded
1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
4 large eggs, beaten
12 bread slices, white
Preheat oven to 325.
In the top of a double boiler, combine the cream, cheddar, white pepper and nutmeg. Stir over hot water until the cheese melts and the mixture is well blended. Remove from the heat and cool to lukewarm. Stir in the eggs. Generously butter a large baking sheet and set aside. Cut the bread slices diagonally and dip each triangle in the cheddar mixture. Place 1/2-inches apart on the baking sheet and bake until browned and bubbly, about minutes. Serve hot.
source: internet recipe I printed from somewhere a long time ago
What I changed:
Made half the recipe. I used a loaf of rosemary bread and hand cut the slices to the thickness I like for french toast. After baking as directions stated, I turned oven up and added 4 minutes. Then I stuck in broiler for a few minutes as I wanted it a little crispier. Then I flipped the pieces over and broiled again for a few minutes.My Thoughts:
I would make toast again. Don't be mistaken by the name though. It does not turn out toasty unless you put in broiler and even then it was still soft. I enjoyed the creamy cheesey taste of the bread. Next time I would add something spicy, maybe some chili powder or cayenne pepper. Maybe sprinkle some on top after dipping. Or grind some pepper on top. It needs a little more flavor to be delicious.
Till tomorrow...




No comments:
Post a Comment